Royal Adhesives & Sealants is a leading global manufacturer and marketer of high performance adhesives, sealants, encapsulants and polymer coatings. As a top ten global adhesives and sealants company, Royal has one of the most diversified technology bases of any adhesives and sealants formulator with expertise in polyurethane, polysulfide, butyl, acrylic, polychloroprene, epoxy, polyisobutylene, and methyl methacrylate (MMA). With global sales, marketing platforms, product development and manufacturing capability, Royal serves a broad range of end-markets including: aerospace and defense, automotive, bus / truck / rail, commercial roofing, electronics / telecommunications / power transmission, envelopes and labels, filter, flexible packaging, flooring / carpeting, graphic arts, heating and air conditioning, insulating glass, marine, mirror mastic, plastics / textiles, recreational / specialty vehicles, solar, and waterproofing.
Headquartered in South Bend, Indiana, Royal operates state-of-the-industry ISO 9001/2008 certified facilities in Indiana, California, Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, South Carolina, Texas, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany and China. Royal provides high-performance and customized solutions meeting the end-user requirements of our customers through constant innovation and customer dialog.
The management team and private investors acquired Royal in 2003. Royal’s strategy to become a premier provider of specialty adhesives and sealants has been achieved through organic growth and through acquisitions. The company has grown from $35 million in annual sales in 2003 to over $600 million today by focusing on our customers by providing customized service and solutions. Additionally, we have made strategic acquisitions that have improved our product range and technical capability to serve our customers in the five industry sectors that we have chosen to compete, 1) Transportation, Assembly & Construction, 2) Construction, Sealants and Waterproofing, 3) Commercial Roofing, 4) Insulating Glass, 5) Adhesives & Polymer Coatings.
The company has made seventeen strategic acquisitions since 2003:
- In December 2004, Royal acquired the ESC neoprene-based adhesive product line and relocated manufacturing to South Bend, Indiana. These adhesives and sealants are used for weather stripping and aftermarket automotive applications and are marketed under the Silaprene® brand.
- In June 2005, Royal acquired the Hardman® Adhesives and Elastomers. This allowed Royal to broaden its product portfolio to include epoxy and urethane structural adhesives, electrical potting and encapsulation compounds and specialty elastomers marketed under the Hardman® and Royal Elastomers brands.
- In December 2005, Royal acquired the assets of J&R Industries Inc. located in Wilmington, CA. This acquisition added polysulfide sealants and electrical potting compounds for aerospace, defense and marine applications and specialty epoxy coatings for industrial maintenance applications.
- In April 2006, Royal acquired the assets of Basic Adhesives Inc.’s Industrial water-based adhesives product line. This new addition to the Hydra FAST-EN® brand consists of urethane, acrylic latex, natural rubber, SBR/Casein and Neoprene water-based adhesives that are primarily sold to the flexible packaging and paper converting market.
- In September 2007, Royal acquired the assets of IAC Bond-Plus® water base adhesives and coatings product line. The acquired product line joins the Hydra FAST-EN® brand of water-based adhesives and consists of EVA, PVA and, acrylic latex water based adhesives and coatings that are primarily sold to the paper, graphic arts and laminating markets.
- In December 2010, Royal acquired the assets of Para-Chem® a leading producer of acrylic adhesives, textile coatings and specialty acrylic polymers for the flooring, roofing, transportation and graphic arts markets.
- In November 2011, Royal acquired the assets of Craig® Adhesives a leading producer of energy cured acrylate and PVA adhesives and coatings for the printing, packaging and lamination market.
- In May 2012, Royal acquired Extreme® Adhesives a leading supplier of methyl methacrylate, cyanoacrylate and anaerobic adhesives for the assembly and architectural markets.
- In May 2012, Royal acquired Clifton® Adhesives a leading producer of urethane and polychloroprene adhesives for bonding elastomeric structures in the aircraft and marine markets.
- In December 2012, Royal acquired Adhesives Packaging Specialties (APS®) a leading specialty packager of adhesives and sealants for industrial and construction assembly applications.
- In July 2013, Royal acquired ADCO Global a leading global supplier of roofing, insulated glass, solar and transportation adhesives and sealants, with operations in the US, Germany and China.
- In September 2014, Royal acquired Chemque based in Toronto Canada. Chemque is a major supplier of polyurethane foams and adhesives to the telecom, flooring and construction markets.
- In January 2015, Royal acquired API a manufacturer of microsphere based adhesives for removable labels, wallgraphics, direct mail and publishing applications.
- In April 2015, Royal acquired, United Kingdom based, Cilbond a leading developer and manufacturer of high performance rubber to metal, rubber to plastic, rubber to fabric and rubber to glass bonding adhesives for high performance automotive and industrial applications, including anti-vibration, hoses and belting and friction products.
- In January 2016, Royal acquired Adhesive Systems, Inc., based in Frankfort, IL. ASI develops and manufactures cyanoacrylate and methacrylate adhesives for the assembly market.
- In February 2016, Royal acquired Weld Mount Systems, based in Durham, CT. Weld Mount has developed a unique line of adhesive bonded fasteners designed for applications such as wire ties, hose mounts, cable clamps, studs and floating nuts.
- In July 2016, Royal acquired Bacon Adhesives, based in Irvine, CA. Bacon is a developer and manufacturer of highly specified electrical and thermally conductive adhesives for demanding aerospace and defense communication, avionics and satellite applications.
All of these acquisitions have been integrated into Royal under a single integrated global management team and manufacturing, product development and quality process discipline designed to benefit our customers through global scale, diversified technologies, application service expertise and supply chain efficiencies.
Royal is committed to providing the best possible products, application solutions and services to our customers through continual process improvement and constant innovation. When you think of adhesives, sealants, coatings, encapsulants or polymers, think Royal!